Friday 19 April 2013

Question 2 : How does your media product represent particular social groups ?

How does your media product represent particular social groups? 

Who have you included images of ? 
One of the first things about my front cover is the social group that is represented. I choose to base my magazine around the black American music industry and how they are portrayed. My magazine if mainly represents urban type of music and I think that the image I captured was a good way of presenting this. I decided to photograph a male as I felt that it shows a lot more dominance and power and most of them make they music because of their previous experiences, so they are showing how their lifestyle has sculpted them to the person that they now are. For my contents page I added various images, the main image being of a female. I decided to add this in as it shows some side sexual appeal to the male readers. 
How have you posed them/ dressed them? 
When it came to the dressing I just got my model to dress in something simple, this is mainly because most of the r&b rappers and singers don't mainly tend to over dress. They mainly just have the typical flat cap or beanie hat, and the most popular shoes within that season. I wanted to keep the simplicity as I thought it would also work well with my choice of colours. With my female model I got her to dress in something a bit tight but still covered to sculpt her body frame a bit. When it comes to the pose of the model, I just got them to move as if they were rapping in a music video and just captured some of the shots. I thought that this worked well and I was able to capture the right feel that the magazine should have. On the double page spread I had my model in a praying position mainly because this is a typical pose that most of the rappers tend to do. 

What does your mise-en-scene communicate about the people (social group) represented? 
I have kept the lighting and the placing of the picture very simple and relaxed because this is how this type of genre of music is communicated to people. In comparison to a rock music magazine it is much more calm and relaxed whereas with a rock magazine the placing and lighting would be a lot more drastic. 

How does your product represent its target audience? 
Hip hop has been stereotypically represented for black people, and I think this is a type of product that would capture peoples attention. This type of genre is increasing its popularity and dominance in the music industry.

Have you done anything different from other representations from within your magazines genre?
I have followed it to keep the professionalism of the magazine but I have also challenged it to show the originality and difference of my magazine. 

Does the representation you offer challenge or support dominant ideas about your social group?
I think mine most definitely supports the type of social group that I am directing this towards. I have followed the way that most of the same type of magazines present and attract them. I have fitted in the American type of culture, even with some of the words that are in the magazines, not overly but its some that can be related to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment